Wednesday, February 3, 2010

When do I follow? When do I lead? Do I just walk beside? By Heidi Jakoby

What do the Grammy’s, the continued Haiti relief efforts, many new commercials, all have in common? They are all focusing on being in relationship. Face to face friendships, fellowships, and communities, helping one another to achieve success, to help those in need and to sell products. Is the next big trend to connect with others in person???? What a radical idea.

As I listen to my friends and read face book and twitter updates are we all talking more about our in person contacts? About wanting to get together in person? I wonder how Skype has increase the face to face contact in our world. I know I see more of my brother now with skype even though we live over an hour apart. Is this the new face to face contact?

In this story from Luke 5: 1-11 (NIV)  Simon said he was not worthy to follow Jesus, but Jesus does not listen and the men follow Jesus. This story begins with a crowd wanting to learn from Jesus and then a few took on the challenge of following Jesus and learning from him. What were their qualifications? What were their skills? What was their training? They did not know at the time but their time with Jesus would be short and then they would need to lead. Why did they follow?

When is it time to follow and when is it time to lead? Many leadership resources talk about the importance of creating relationships and knowing when to lead and when to follow. As the former Director of Leadership Development at Rivier College one of the things I tried to instill in all students was in order to succeed you need other people. People who can help you achieve your goals and people whose goals you can help them achieve.

As I think about Jesus leadership style I believe he focused on getting to know people, knowing his audience and then responding to their needs and at times accompanying them on their journey. This brings me to my wedding invitation and one of my favorite quotes:

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.

Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus

What does this mean for you? For me it means all relationships are a give and take. Each person is given an opportunity to lead and to follow. A lot has been written about being a good leader but what makes a good follower? What makes a good partner? Is it trust, faith, compliance, conflict avoidance? What do you think?

I know for me to follow I need to trust the person I am following, I need to know that they respect me and that they want to hear my honest opinion. Most importantly for me I need to know they sincerely care about me and my life, my success. This week President Obama was in Nashua, NH having a town meeting. The town meeting format seems to be a new trend in politics. Why is the town meeting format so popular? I think it is because there is in person contact with the people. This is one way for political leaders to come face to face with the voters and allow the voters to ask questions. This is a different level of relationship and a different way of leading.

This Sunday after the Super Bowl a new show is premiering called Undercover Boss: “Each week a different executive will leave the comfort of their corner office for an undercover mission to examine the inner workings of their company. While working alongside their employees, they will see the effects their decisions have on others, where the problems lie within their organization and get an up-close look at both the good and the bad while discovering the unsung heroes who make their company run.” (for more information)  .

Why would an Executive want to do this? As a leader it is important to know what the people who are following you are experiencing. Would you do this if you were an executive?

Finally I invite you to listen to a song by the Grammy award nominated group Leeland, the song is called Follow You enjoy and let me know what you think. (lyrics, listen)

Please share your thoughts and comments.

If you are in the Nashua, NH area Thursday Feb 4th join us at Panera Bread on Amherst Street at 7 for some relationship building and conversation.

Bookmark and Share



1 comment:

Kari said...

Leeland's song is powerful. And seeing the faces of the people he visited in Cambodia is even more powerful. Interesting to think of what faces we will encounter when we are following God's lead.
Thanks, Heidi, for the great thoughts and links.

listening and exploring faith together