Monday, January 18, 2010

be refreshed, be free . . . by Kari Henkelmann Keyl

Getting un-stuck can be such a pain. Sometimes you just can’t find the right words to express yourself. Or you can’t get your feet out of bed to get the day started. Sometimes it seems like your whole life is frozen. Like you wish you had a giant “Refresh” icon to click, to get a brand new try at making connections.

Being refreshed… sounds so good. Just give me a bit of sunshine, an energy boost, a new sense of urgency for living. New Year’s resolutions can sometimes function that way.  Sometimes companies or families or individuals write mission statements, to articulate a vision that will inspire and get things moving again.

I’ve been impressed by the “Six word Memoir” movement started by the online magazine, Smith, encouraging you to tell your story in 6 words.  (See Smith's 6 word challenge ).  Now that’s not necessarily like finding your reason for being, but it does get you thinking about what’s going on at your very core. Here's one that was recently posted on Smith’s site:
“Born weak. Reborn strong. Thank God”.  Sounds refreshing alright!

I keep playing with my six word memoir, but it usually comes out something like this: “God's bridge-building, to me, through me”. Those six words tell the story of how I'm living fully when I'm attempting to build bridges: between different people or different ways of thinking, for example. And in the middle of that bridge-building is where I find God, or probably, where God finds me.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day seems like a great day to get unstuck, to come up with a driving principle, a reason for being… since we’re celebrating the life of one who had such passion for changing his world and knew the words to say to refresh those who were oppressed.

I’ve been musing on what might be Dr. King’s six words. “Fighting non-violently for God’s freedom dream” is one that I’ve come up with.

The Savior that Dr. King believed in had a freedom dream, too. Take a look at this story from when Jesus was just jumping out of the starting blocks. He’d been baptized. He'd been tempted to ditch the whole mission.  But now he was ready. He unleashed his refreshing energy on the stuck people of his hometown. Check out the story: Luke 4:14-21

What might Jesus’ six word memoir be, based on this grand opening story? How about: “God’s freedom for those squashed down”. Notice he didn’t just announce that the refreshing freedom was coming soon. He said it’s here. In my words, in my actions, in the person I am. God is here. For you. Now.

That’s what I’m hearing when I read that passage. In this very moment, when I’m trying to write a blog that might somehow bridge someone closer to God, I have God’s freeing power. Though I started off this post totally stuck (could you tell?) and at a loss for words, God’s energy began to flow when I admitted my stuckness and accepted God’s freeing lead.

Like Jesus, Dr. King preached that the freedom his people sought was theirs already. God in Jesus had already given them all the dignity they needed. They need not earn it or grab it or borrow it from those in power. They would wear their full God-given freedom for all to see, and fight for the rights that should come to all free people.

God’s freedom is ours. As we live into it, and share it with others, we can find refreshing energy and God’s own power.

Please feel free to leave your own thoughts or 6 word memoirs or hopes for refreshment. And for those who live around Nashua NH, we’ll be gathering at the Crowne Plaza, Thursday, 7pm, to get into these themes in community. All are welcome!

Peace and Freedom,
Kari

P.S. Here are a few more links to check out:
Shed a Little Light (James Taylor’s inspiring song about Dr. King)
NPR slideshow (A gallery of artists' renditions of 6 word memoirs)
MLK Song (a creative mix of Dr. King’s voice and message with music and moving scenes from the 60’s; this was just posted early today and already has been seen by 4000 people.  Not everyone's going to like it, but it does get you thinking.)

Bookmark and Share


No comments:

listening and exploring faith together