Thursday, May 20, 2010

Are you an Adopted Child of God?

Chely Wright came out as the “first openly gay country music artist” and said on Oprah Wed that she feels like she is “two weeks old”. What a scary, freeing, statement she has been facing. As I listened to the interview on Wed I realized here is a woman brought up in a Christian church who never felt she could live her own truth. She felt she had to hide who she really was. So she began her new authentic life just two weeks ago, a brand new child of God on a new journey but still linked to her old journey. She expressed her belief in God and his ever-presence throughout her life. When she held a gun to her mouth she prayed for forgiveness and her parent in heaven instead gave her the strength to live and come out. What an amazing parent, there when needed, loving unconditionally. Read her story.

As I reflect on Romans 8:14-17  in the beginning we are urged to receive life from God and to live as the Spirit calls us to live. This is a call to be honest with who we are and the gifts God has given us to share. Are you living the life God is calling you to live?

I am a child of God. Recently I read something suggesting that we are adopted children of God. What does it mean to be an adopted child of God? For me it means I have many brothers and sisters and a caring loving Parent, who will always be there for me; a parent who loves me unconditionally. What do I need to do in return? I just need to do my best. To journey through life, listening for God to lead me, to challenge me and to encourage me to share the many gifts I have to share.

How is being adopted into a family different from being born into a family? Do you think we are adopted into God’s family or born into it? What does it mean to be adopted? You are chosen by your adopted parents, and if you are older you have a say in that choice as well. You would move into a new home, be loved by new people, be given new responsibilities and in some ways a fresh new life. Is this always good? Is it always easy? Just like with our relationship with God, sometimes I like having God as a Parent and sometimes I don’t like it, especially when I believe that I am being challenged to share my gifts in difficult ways. I like having God as a parent to love me unconditionally, to show me grace, but it is when God challenges me to share my gifts and find my call and things do not seem clear I am ready to walk away and ignore God.

Back in 2000 I met a young man who talked about his story of not having a father in his life, he was angry until he realized that God was the father he needed and that God was always there and would always be there for him to help. This was at the beginning of his Hip Hop ministry and today he has received many accolades and has accomplished many things, check out this short clip from his song Be My Dad video.

Dave Scherer has a wonderful story about following God and sharing the gifts God gave him. Creating a Hip Hop ministry when he started was cutting edge and now people are trying to copy him and his ministry. I am sure there were ups and downs, doubts and assurances, but following is never easy.

How are you following your passion, your call? How are you sharing your gifts?

Join the conversation tonight at 7PM EST on an audio Skype conversation. You just need a microphone and speakers to join in. Go to Skype.com create an account and connect to bythewaycommunity, you can also leave your comments here.


Bookmark and Share





1 comment:

Tracy said...

Liked the Child of God post. Makes me think about relationships and how I am constantly challenged to be a Child of God. Am I like a child, helpless in the face of God's will and plan for me? Also about how we are challenged daily (hourly) in our relationships with spouses, children, coworkers, friends, etc. How those relationships can sometimes drain the energy from us that we need to sustain and implement God's plan for us.

listening and exploring faith together