Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Connect to the Extraordinary by Heidi Jakoby

Finding the extraordinary in the ordinary. I am still to this day a person who gets excited about the mail, yes snail mail the mail delivered to my home each day. I am always hopeful that the mail will bring a surprise something unexpected, just like a knock at the door or the doorbell ringing. When I was little the door bell rang often, but today everyone arranges play dates or calls ahead and the surprise, is a little lost in my opinion. On a pretty regular day Jesus came and knocked on Martha and Mary’s door. They did not expect him and there were many chores to be done to maintain the house and to show hospitality. Take a look at the story in  Luke 10:38-42 . What do you think? Martha definitely had the gift of hospitality and opened her door and invited Jesus in but may have missed the opportunity to visit with Jesus and be in the moment. Mary disregarded her chores and visited with Jesus. I do not think one woman was right and the other wrong I think that sometimes we do not notice the opportunities before us to be in the moment. To put ourselves in a place of wonder. We easily get caught up in what we have to do and we sometimes don’t ask what are we being called to do?

Let me share three of my own examples from this past week. I had my Niece, Nephew and their Mom visiting for a week as they do every year since before they were born. My Niece and Nephew are 9 and 11 and I used to make breakfast everyday for them, but as they grew I realized that they could help. Yes, it was a little messier but letting them help, teaching them to cook has become a wonderful tradition each time them come for a visit and now it is our time to talk catch up and for them to teach me. I recognized that this ordinary time has become extraordinary.

A second example which stands out for me is our trip to Canobie Lake Park  , a local amusement park. This park has history going back to the Vitoria era and it was known for its Dancehall, now redone with a small museum in the back. We entered the park when it opened and left when it closed so you can tell we were on a mission, to get as much in as possible. In the heat of the afternoon we often stop to take in the show, as we did this time. The show ended and we were heading out and my husband grabbed me and started dancing with me. There was music but no one else was dancing, but this was a dance hall. I had two options, say “stop, we need to move on” or dance. I chose to dance, and it is one my favorite memories of last week, my husband and I danced in this famous dance hall. Check out Lee Ann Womack : I Hope You Dance (Lyrics,  Video) Lyrics and see what you think about how this relates to Jesus invitation to Martha to come and be a part of the visit.

The third example is about a friend who had surgery Monday and asked me to stay overnight as she needed a “responsible adult” to be with her overnight. The Monday after a week of visitors is usually a day to catch up on sleep and to take it easy but I knew that this was something I needed to do. I knew that we all need help every now and again and it isn’t always easy to recognize when your tasks and plans need to take a back seat to someone else’s needs. I think this video I found from the Responsibility Project illustrates this well entitled Second Line  What did you hear?

I agree with one of the many bloggers I read that the story of Martha and Mary:

{Is} really about Jesus and how much Jesus wants to draw each and all of us into a relationship that lifts us beyond the everyday limitations of this life that we might glimpse, if only for a few moments at a time, the sacred in the mundane, the extraordinary in the ordinary, and the holiness with which each and every moment of this life is imbued.” David Lose (to see the rest of what David  wrote click here )

Please comment and let me know what you think. We will not be skyping for the next few weeks, so please comment here and let us know when you would like to join the conversation.

I challenge you to find the extraordinary in the ordinary and share it hear.


Bookmark and Share

 

2 comments:

Kathy said...

It is awesome to see the extraordinary in the everyday moments of our lives, although it doesn't sound like it was an ordinary week.
I went to a funeral on Monday for a 44 year old man who had struggles with Asperger's all his life. The testimony that his friends gave showed what an extraordinary life he lived. It is important to both serve and be in the moment and we can do that by seeing God in all things.

Jini B said...

How true! I agree with Mary as she visits with Jesus. I gave up keeping my house clean and doing big chores while the kids were awake years ago when the kids were born. I decided it was much more imporant to give my children my time than to have shiny appliances. When they were little they needed a lot of my time. As they are getting older they need less of my time. At some point, they will need even less, and that is when my house will be clean!

listening and exploring faith together