Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Giving it up for your friends

You see them all over, in various shapes and sizes, decorating buildings and around people’s necks, even hanging from the ears of random rock stars: crosses… those ornate symbols of… what? What does the cross really mean anyway?

Of course, crosses identify places as churches and people as Christians or followers of Jesus. And many know that Jesus died on a cross and that that was a gift of life to us. Plenty of people value that symbol of their identity and their love for Jesus. But many more people are left wondering: What’s so significant about Jesus’ death? How, exactly, does his death accomplish anything for us?

As a small child I was told that Jesus died to save me from my sins. That worked for me for a little while… and then I started asking questions. The answers I heard were for the most part unsatisfying. And yet, when I worshiped during those days before Easter, remembering Jesus’ death on the cross, I felt strongly that it was a gift of love for me. That it brought me close to God’s heart. I didn’t have the words to explain intellectually how Jesus’ death affected me, but I experienced it powerfully.

I’ve learned since then that there are many different words that can explain how the cross brings God’s love to the world. There’s not just one way of understanding it. But I do believe that understanding the cross is beyond words, too. Sometimes the best understanding comes through experience.

I invite you to come to the Crowne Plaza this Thursday night, 7pm, to have both a “head” and a “heart” experience of the power of the cross… an evening gathering with the theme: “Giving it up for your friends”. Please feel free to bring a friend who may be curious about this cross business. And bring your own questions and answers about what Jesus’ gift of life means for us… and what difference it makes for our world.

Peace,
Kari

No comments:

listening and exploring faith together