Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Here I am... but how long, Lord?

It's thrilling to be chosen for an honored position, yes? And it's terrifyingly thrilling to be chosen for an honored position that is desperately important AND way beyond your skill set, yes?

Can you get any more terrifying than that? Well, yes. The one who chose you for this honored position that is desperately important and way beyond your skill set, can say to you, “Oh, by the way, you will most certainly fail, and when you have failed, all will be in ruins… except for a seed of hope that will be planted in the midst of the mess you’ve made.”

You have to admire those who would take such a job, those who’d be so committed to the vision and the One who envisioned it, that they’d give it all they’ve got.

Such a one lived about 2750 years ago. His name, Isaiah.

What a seed he planted. And what an amazing body of writing emerged from his public speaking because he did not tell God to take this job and shove it. Isaiah could well be the patron saint of tasks doomed to fail within our lifetimes… but will plant seeds for the future.

There’s something about Isaiah’s story that says God walks alongside us, urging us on, no matter how tough the job is. It also seems to say that God is just as crazy as we are, that is, those of us who keep trying to do the impossible tasks of loving the world.

Let’s dig into this challenging reading this Thursday, 7pm, at the Crowne Plaza. Many faith communities around the world will be reading this story this weekend, from the 6th chapter of Isaiah, verses 1-8. That’s the creepy-but-gloriously-exhilerating part of the story. We’re going to go on and tackle the weird-and-ugly part: verses 9-13. You can read it now, if you like, by linking through the title of this post.

Peace to you in all your missions-impossible,

Kari

2 comments:

Karissa Wright said...

Mmm so good! Thanks for sharing! I can very much relate with you on this right now! As Craig and I launch a student ministry at The DC and as we both write for the church, I ask God all of the time- Are you sure you meant me? Yes yes He did.

Karissa Wright said...

Thanks for sharing! As Craig and I launch a student ministry at The DC and as we both write for the church, I often as Him- Did you really mean me? Yes He did. I fail every day but He uses my failures to show me how much I need Him to do what He has called me to do.

listening and exploring faith together