Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Healers One and All

Sent out into the world to heal. Have you ever had the opportunity to help someone through a difficult time in their life? Did you just listen to a friend share their hurt? As I reflect on Jesus sending out his followers to heal I think about how we are called to help (heal) one another. Have you considered the idea that helping someone is a form of healing? And caring for one another can help make the world a better place?

In this reading from Mark, Jesus sends out his followers two by two and tells them to take nothing with them. To go out and start healing, simple and direct; no special training. Is it that simple?
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%206:1-13;&version=65;

As I continued to reflect on this reading and the past week I pondered the many famous people who died over the past week and all that they brought to the world. Farrah Fawcett and her long battle with cancer has inspired many to continue to seek a cure and or a better way of living with cancer. Michael Jackson has inspired people in different ways. When I put in the word Healing into the You tube search a Michael Jackson song came up called Heal the World.

I must have heard this song before but I don't think I ever truly listened to it. Here are the first two versus (for the lyrics to the entire song http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/michaeljackson/healtheworld.html )

Heal The World
Make It A Better Place
For You And For Me
And The Entire Human Race
There Are People Dying
If You Care Enough
For The Living
Make A Better Place
For You And For Me

And The Dream We Were
Conceived In
Will Reveal A Joyful Face
And The World We
Once Believed In
Will Shine Again In Grace
Then Why Do We Keep
Strangling Life
Wound This Earth
Crucify Its Soul
Though It's Plain To See
This World Is Heavenly
Be God's Glow

The last line of the second verse has really resonated for me. How can I be God's Glow? How can I help this wounded earth? How can we make the world a better place?


As you can tell I have many questions and not many answers so I also explored the words of the Hippocratic Oath that many doctors take when they are earning their degree. I discovered that there are some misnomers about the oath, for instance it does not say "First, do no harm". Also I learned that there is a second oath the Geneva Declaration (http://www.cirp.org/library/ethics/geneva/). The last section of one of the Hippocratic Oaths states "May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help." This links help and healing as well as medicine as a calling. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html


This Thursday at 7pm join us at the Crowne Plaza for Bread for your journey where we will take a look at Jesus sending his friends out into to the world to heal people, how the song Heal the World speaks to us, and we may take a closer look at the Hippocratic Oath. Let us explore together the joy that can come from help and healing. You can also join in our conversation here at the blog.



Peace


Heidi Jakoby

2 comments:

Kari said...

Thanks for this, Heidi. That was so interesting to read the healers' oaths as well as to reflect on FF's strong example and MJ's yearning for healing. And I was moved by the Message version of Jesus' sending out of his followers... and what it might have to do with me: Keep it simple. You are all the equipment you need. Go out and do all the healing you can, and then move on.

bostonian foodie said...

"healers one and all" speaks to me very deeply.
One of my main goals and missions in life is to bring "healing" light of hope to over 2.5 million foster kids currently in care. Not to mention over 12 million scared from being in the system. Hoping that my god story, will help change the system to ensure that not another child falls through the cracks. Not to mention how many children will not see their 5th birthday due to abuse or neglect. 25,000 youth age out each year and will experience homelessness. But most of all to be transparent that I am not perfect but thru GOD's GRACE, LOVE, and yes sometimes FORGIVENESS, is ACTIVE in our daily lives whether or not we choose to see it or not.

Mark 6:8-9 "Don't think you need a lot of extra equipment for this. You are the equipment. No special appeals for funds. Keep it simple"

Can be applied can and related to everyone not just leader. You don't have to be a leader to make an impact or difference. All of us are called to do something, big or small. So I encourage everyone to listen, and get up and go do your part. For that is enough. It just requires your hands and your heart. It's that simple.

-Theresa
p.s. will post my oath later

listening and exploring faith together