Friday, July 17, 2009

'Just Waitin Till the Shine Wears Off'

By Dustin Wright

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves."
Henry David Thoreau

Throughout Bread for Your Journey last night, the quote above kept runnin through my head... and it's certainly informed everything I'll reflect on here.

For last night's reflections & prayers, please visit our new bread for your journey blog: http://breadforyourjourney.blogspot.com/

The reading from Mark in particular spoke to me- there's so much going on there. We discussed two major facets of being lost last night. First, the disciples needed to get lost for a bit... they had seemingly great success going out and spreading the Word, but to continue their ministry, they needed a break to reconnect with God (and as I'll speak to later, probably a break from success as well).


Second, the crowds on the shore were already lost, and they needed a shepherd like Jesus. In my mind at least, the crowds represent the best type of 'lostness.' When lost in life, it's easy to remain still and helpless, without ever trying to find a real solution. It's also easy to assume that we're not lost, to stay in the same spot, and to never keep searching for answers. The crowds in Mark represent a more active, searching type of 'lostness'- they hurried to the shoreline, arriving there even before the Shepherd did.

The central question of our discussion last night seemed to be whether being lost was a good or bad thing. In my opinion, being lost is almost always a positive... as Thoreau said, it's only then that we begin to understand ourselves. The song Lost! by Coldplay (feat. Jay-Z), posted below, in my mind perfectly illustrates that point and ties everything together:



While some might find Jay-Z's lyrics a little difficult (or Chris Martin's poor rendition of Mick Jagger-ish dancing very difficult), the song makes a really good point. It's important to remain lost both in life and in our spirituality. This song first came out last summer. I had recently graduated from a great college, with a bunch of great jobs lined up, in a great relationship, and with a great happy family backing me up... Essentially,
I thought I had it all, that I had it all figured out, and that it'd always be that way.

By about two weeks after graduation, my mother had been diagnosed with lung cancer, doctors thought I had cancer as well, I had broken up with someone I thought I'd be with forever, and I certainly couldn't start any of those jobs I had lined up with everything else going. Since then, I've certainly been lost, but I've learned and grown so much personally, and grown much closer to God as well... all things that I missed out on while I was assuming I had arrived at my 'destination.'

Much like how assuming we've "made it" in life can lead us to some of our greatest downfalls, I think assuming that we've ever completely figured out our relationship with God might make us miss out on a much deeper relationship with Him. If you do think you have life or God (or both) figured out... just wait till the shine wears off. Or as Jay-Z would put it,

'So it's tough being Bobby Brown
To be Bobby then, you have to be Bobby now.'

Thanks, and I hope you'll join us next week at Bread for Your Journey. God's peace,

- Dustin


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dustin for 'Just Waitin Till the Shine Wears Off'

I love the juxtaposition of Thoreau and Jay-Z as it relates to being lost…
+ We are not always the shiny super star that we think we are.
+ We forget that we have not created ourselves.
+ We do not save ourselves.
+ We cannot sustain ourselves.
God is our creator, savior and sustainer alone.

It is through acknowledging that we are broken, tarnished and lost that we begin to understand ourselves. It really is tough being Bobby Brown, or me, or you for that matter. We are all lost sinners and we need to let go, understand that to be Bobby then, we have to be Bobby now and ask God to forgive us. But to be our shiniest lost best, we just need to let go and let God be our GPS (or path and guide).

Through God’s grace, promise and water in baptism, our broken, tarnished and lost desires and ways are made whole, washed and polished, our lost + found shine restored through God’s love.

by the way said...

Wow, Dustin, that was so thought-provoking, and I loved having the song playing as I read. The song helped illustrate the story of your own that you were telling. Thanks so much for sharing that. Very powerful.

Kari said...

Wow, Dustin, that was so thought-provoking, and I loved having the song playing as I read. The song helped illustrate the story of your own that you were telling. Thanks so much for sharing that. Very powerful.

Kari Henkelmann Keyl said...

That last comment was supposed to have been from me (Kari) rather than from "by the way", in case anyone wants to know!

listening and exploring faith together