Friday, September 11, 2009

Who do you say Jesus is in your life? 6 words or less?

by Heidi Jakoby


Thanks to Kari I had many great ideas for this week’s Bread for your journey. We have been talking a lot about who we are, as Christians, as job seekers and people trying to discern God's call to us. This week I took us back to some childhood characters, Tigger, Eeyore and the Velveteen Rabbit. What do these have to do with our text for this week Mark8:27-37? You can connect to the readings through this link.

http://breadforyourjourney.blogspot.com

Identifying who we are is a difficult process. When you join face book you are asked to put in a short bio. What I have noticed about these bios is that they are mostly positive. How would you describe yourself in the most positive way? But like all people we all have many layers to ourselves some positive and some not so positive. It is often easy for me to identify my positive traits and publish them to the world but it is difficult to publish my struggles and insecurities. I don't mind sharing them in small groups but not on my face book page.

It is interesting when Jesus asks "Who do the people say I am?" and he receives a variety of answers. Who would the people around you say you are? Would it be the same or different from how you define yourself? Would these insights help you to discover your real self?

Jesus goes on to say that "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way to saving yourself, your true self."

Can you know your true self without some suffering or struggle? I think it is difficult to know who you truly are deep inside and to be open and honest about all aspects of yourself. Part of this difficulty comes from the fact that all of our relationships and experiences influence who we are. We are always changing. The other two readings I selected speak to how we choose to live our lives.

Are you a Tigger or an Eeyore? (The Last Lecture) As we discussed this question I discovered that I don't necessarily want to be one or the other but to live in the tension between the two. In order to accompany someone in joy and in sorrow you need to have experienced both and be able to flow from joy to sorrow. Each new day presents us with a choice about what to do and whether to be optimistic or pessimistic. I believe as we serve and help others we learn more about ourselves and how we approach each day, and this awareness helps us to grow.

The idea of being real truly real flows from the children’s book The Velveteen Rabbit. In the reading from the Velveteen Principles Toni describes an elderly couple who see each other clearly they know who they truly are and know what it means to be real. They are not putting on airs for anyone they are present in the moment and in one another’s life.

So who are you and do you know your real self? If not think about 10 words you would use to describe yourself?

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

Don't forget to join us next week for Bread for your journey.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Kari said...

Great summary of a wonderful bfyj refection time, Heidi.
Who is Jesus to me? in 6 words? "welcoming Love, challenging Way, energizing Spirit"
that's just off the top of my head... have to think about it some more...

listening and exploring faith together