Thursday, November 26, 2009

Is it ever too late to say thank you? by Heidi Jakoby

On this day of thanksgiving I am taken with the importance of living in a world with others. I have recently noticed how some of my friends and family have a very small view of the world. They barely think beyond the moment or beyond their immediate family. I know that when you are going through difficult times sometimes it is best to think about what you need to do in the next hour rather than the next five years. I am reflecting on people who have stability and many things to be thankful this day.


As in the first reading(to see the reflections and readings for this week you can link to Bread for your journey) about the story of putting 5 grains of corn on each empty plate and having each person share the things they are thankful for this day, I am sure for many those things go beyond themselves and to the world. What are you thankful for locally, nationally and globally? I try hard not to get too caught up in my own little world but try to think of others, help out where I can and be thoughtfully thankful. In the last reflection we are called to be thankful, and to spread God’s love.

Earlier this week the local TV station in Nashua, NH was interviewing people online for a turkey and food at the Nashua Soup Kitchen see story at: Nashua Soup Kitchen What struck me about this report was how each person online was helping one another and they are were thankful. Even though for a number of people this was their first time in line they were thankful and figuring out how to get through these difficult times. One particular person even re-gifted some of his food to a larger family to help out. The circle of giving and gratitude was wonderful. I also find great comfort in knowing there are places people can go for help and places I can give to out of my thankfulness for the blessings in my life.

If you are feeling truly blessed and thankful this day I challenge you to consider how you can share that with others? A sign I past recently said, “Give as much as you can and be thankful for what you can give.” What are you giving away today?

I need your help I am looking for your thoughts on the following thankful dilemma.

When I grew up my parents taught me to send thank you cards for gifts received and I have noticed how thank yous are fewer and farther between these days. I try and write out thank you to people or at least acknowledge their thoughtfulness but it isn’t always easy. I recently found a stack of thank you cards I wrote out over two years ago that I thought were mailed and they were not. Is it too late to send them? Is it ever too late to be thankful and express your gratitude? What do you think?

Don’t forget to play, relax and enjoy the day!

Bookmark and Share







No comments:

listening and exploring faith together