Monday, January 19, 2009

New Orleans Trip: Post #1 (DC Stop)

I’m just here for a short layover, but it sure is exciting. I’m at the airport in Washington, DC, on my way to New Orleans. Even though I won’t be here for tomorrow’s Inauguration, is still feels like I’m close to the history-making, dream-fulfilling event. I even bought some of the souvenirs which are all over the place (not something I usually do!) If you’d like to be one of the lucky recipients of one of my fun little souvenirs, all you have to do is be one of the first 3 to ask! (Just click on “comment” at the end of this post.)

Well I may not be able to stay here in DC and share in the dream of being physically present at the Inauguration, but I will be part of the humungous crowd being virtually present, and I feel mighty privileged to be able to do it.

In just a few minutes, I’ll be moving on further south to explore a different dream, one that does fit into the category of community organizing. I’ll be meeting in New Orleans with about 100 or so others who are organizing communities of their own, groups of Christ-followers who are reaching out into the world in new and exciting ways. Not only will we be learning and worshiping and swapping stories and such; we’ll also be going to post-Katrina worksites to be serving God’s people in need in very concrete ways. I’m psyched, as you who know me can well imagine.

Stay tuned for more!

~ Kari

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what did you get? I ordered some stuff online for my boys, but how exciting to have been near DC!
Have a great time, come back with lots of ideas to share!

Crystal said...

I'll go for a souvenir, and I don't even like the guy! I do think history in the making is pretty cool to have a piece of!

Hope you have a safe flight. :-)

listening and exploring faith together