Saturday, August 15, 2009

Walk by Faith through the Open Door

by Crystal Mohrmann

One of the things that never ceases to amaze me about by the way’s bread for your journey is how often I am able to directly relate the week’s lesson to whatever is going on in my own life. I also always find that in the days after bread for your journey, I run into reaffirmations or reminders to remember the lesson.

This week, the most significant aspect of our discussion (for me) came from the idea that often, God will open the door for us, but that it is our responsibility to take the initiative to step through it, even when it looks like it could be dark inside, and trust that he’s going to be walking with us the whole time and carrying us when we can no longer walk ourselves.

Personally, I’ve had to walk into several dark places and I’ve more often than not, gone kicking and screaming. Because sometimes, I don’t think God gives us the choice. He gives us the extra push we need to get where we need to go when we can’t get there ourselves. However, most of the time, I think God does give us the choice. He opens the door to an opportunity and let’s us decide to walk by it or to walk through it. Right now, in my life and in my search to find the right place to pursue my passion, I am standing at one of God’s open doors. By opening this door, he’s sending me a lifeline, so I won’t drown in financial and other stresses, but from my perspective, what’s inside doesn’t look like what I thought or expected. And so I struggle with the same question I did a few weeks ago when I posted my last blog. Then, the question was do I let go of the rope? Now the question is do I walk through the door? Both involve blind trust, but I think if anyone is worthy of that trust, it’s God.

And so, I’ve been pondering that since last night’s bread for your journey and attempting to build enough courage to walk through a door that leads to a future that’s unknown. Interestingly enough, I decided to relax tonight by watching an old episode of the TV show, “Everwood.” Typical enough, right?

Well, do you remember those “reminders to remember” that I spoke about at the beginning of this post? Yeah, one of those popped up in a reference to none other than the flood story that Heidi talked about earlier this week on the blog and which was also one of the readings from last night. In the episode I just so happened to be watching (season 3, episode 18 if anyone is interested), one of the character’s says, “Maybe I’m like that person that didn’t realize that God sent him the boat or the helicopter…when the flood came…[m]aybe God did answer my prayer, but I just didn’t realize it because it didn’t come in the form I was expecting.”

I know, subtle right? If that wasn’t further encouragement to walk through the door, I’m not sure what else would be.

William Blake once wrote, “There are things that are known and things that are unknown. And in between, there are doors.”

We are, as humans, constantly treading the divide between what’s known and what’s unknown. We, as Christians, however have faith on our side…faith that although so much of our lives is unknown to us, there is nothing God does not already know about us and our journey. He opens doors for us on purpose. And sometimes, we need to step up and let our faith help us move through the door to the unknown even if it scares us, even if it doesn’t come in the form we were expecting.

Imagine this: You and your best friend have decided to take a road trip. You have no idea where you’re going, but your best friend assures you that he knows how to get there and knows what will be there when you arrive. Your friend doesn’t promise that you won’t get a flat tire or take a wrong turn by accident along the way, but he does promise that you’ll be together on the journey and will end up exactly where you’re supposed to be. Do you go with him or do you walk away from an incredible opportunity because you’re scared of what “might” happen along the way? I don’t know about you, but I trust my friends enough to know that if they say they’ll get me where I need to go, then they will. I believe God deserves that same trust.

So ask yourself: are you ready for a road trip with God?

If your answer is yes, then walk through the open door.

Following in Dustin’s footsteps, I’ll leave you with a song from Jeremy Camp called “Walk by Faith.”

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Bill Petersen said...

God of opportunity and change, as our horizons extend, keep us loyal to our past. As our dangers increase, help us to prepare the future. Almighty God, keep us both outwardly in our bodies and inwardly in our souls, that we may be defended from all adversities. Giver of the present, hope for the future: grant us the joy of your saving help again, and sustain us with your bountiful Spirit. Amen.

Unknown said...

Crystal... love this post. Also, the whole "following in my footsteps"... very flattering thank you haha. My favorite "teen movie" is Can't Hardly Wait- have you ever seen it? If not, watch it, and look for this quote:

"There is fate but it only takes you so far. Because once you're there it's up to you to make it happen."

I wish I could find a video clip of that scene... it really informed me as a 6th grader. Anyway, whether you want to look at it as fate/ God, it does only push you so far. Then you have to have faith that God through YOU is going to make it happen.

Kristin said...

I really love how you titled your post "Walk by Faith." That just so happens to be my favorite song by Jeremy Camp. As I listend to the song, I realized that in a way I walk by faith everyday, but maybe in a different way than some. Every time I pick up Posada's harness handle I walk by faith.

I remember the first time that I did it out in Oregon during training. I was excited, but really scared at the same time. I had to trust that Posada was going to lead me around objects and help me cross streets safely. My first walk with her was both terrifying and exillerating at the same time. My trainer told me over and over again that Posada would keep me safe. I believed her but was still very nervous as I was packing to go home.

It has been over four months now that I have been lead by Posada, and in that time I have developed 100% faith that Posada will keep me safe. That faith was tested last week when I was crossing busy main street and I knew that it was safe to cross. As we were crossing the last lane of traffic, a car came out of nowhere speeding right toward us. Posada stopped and pulled herself in front of me. The car never stopped. I was so close to the vehicle that I could feel the wind of it as it sped past. Onlooking cars yelled and honked their horns at the car. I somehow remained cool and gave Posada the comand to continue crossing. When we reached the sidewalk, I dropped the handle sat down on the ground and hugged her in tears. People who saw it ran over to us and asked if we were alright, but I was very much in awe of what Posada had just done for me. If I had been walking with my cane, most likely I wouldn't be writing this right now. I knew before this incident that I had faith in Posada, but I had it proven to me that day.

What does this have to do with Crystal's post? I believe that we need to be able to trust in God 100% to lead us to the right path. I think that is very hard to do. I think that we are all in God's harness and that when he picks up the the handle and says "forward" that is the direction that we should go. Sometimes when I am walking with Posada I have doubts. At those times I have her stop and sit. She usually looks up at me with a face that says "Mom, it's this way. Why are we stopping? Just trust me and we will get there together." I believe that if I change the way that I have been viewing my decisions that I make to God directing me in a harness life would be much easier. Life would be much better if we all just walked by faith.

listening and exploring faith together