Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Are we doing what we are suppose to be doing? by Heidi Jakoby


What is God calling us to do?  To care and love one another. To treat others as we would like to be treated.  Trust, respect, help one another.  How do you describe what we as human beings are suppose to do as we are in relationship with others.

As in the reading from Luke 13: 1-9 Jesus talks about loss and tragedy and how one can become lost based on the choices they make.  At the end of this reading Jesus talks about a Fig tree that is about to be cut down because it has not given any fruit.  The gardener interrupts and says he will tend this tree and give it more time to bear good fruit.  I love this image of tending, and caring for the tree.  I often think of the people with whom I am in relationship; how do they care for me and help me to be a better person and how do I help them? Being in relationship with others is vital to our growth and understanding of who we are and what we are called to do.

With the earthquake in Haiti we have witnessed many people doing their best to help the people affected, by  donating money, items and their time.  Do you agree with Pat Robinson who said the Haitian people "made a pack with the devil" and that is why the earthquake happened? Or do you think that God is with the people of Haiti and showing grace and mercy through those who are helping.  James Carroll, in his article Haiti and God gives a great commentary on God's presence in Haiti.  What do you think of his article?  How does this inform your understanding of Luke?

Finally, as I reflect on these readings I think about how I live each day.  I believe I am asked by God to be in relationship with others and to be the best, loving, caring person I can be. I know I will make mistakes and that I am imperfect but as long as I do my best I will have a good day.  Check out this song by Lenka
Live Like You Were Dying What does it mean to you to live like you were dying?  Would you travel, would you quit work or would you continue to be the best person you can be each day?  What is your answer?

Please share your thoughts and consider joining us for an in person conversation at Panera on Amherst Street in Nashu NH on Thursday March 4.  We would like to hear from you.


Bookmark and Share



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this blog.

Anonymous said...

For me, To live like you were dying comes from being thankful to God for your walk in the shadow of death WHILE you are walking in the shadow of death. It is an amazing closeness to God that is unexplainable. It is a feeling I will never forget, nor one that I want to forget.
I remember I cried thankful tears while IN the shadow of death. Thankful for the trial I was in. It took me a long time to get to that point. I trudged through pain, worry, sadness, frustration, confusion, but mostly anger. My hope was surely broken. But then there was an amazing moment. All that I had trudged through was replaced with peace. I knew that nothing would ever separate me from the love of God. Not even death. Now, that is all I need to know and remember. It seems so simple.
To live like you were dying is complicated. In my opinion, travel would be meaningless, if you knew you were dying. Quiting your life's work would leave you empty, if you knew were dying. To choose to continue as the best person you could be might be the path to take. Especially, if you realized and remembered the love of God and the faith of Jesus. Loving others would not be that which you would just want to try to do, it would be what you would do. Always!
I can connect to this song by Lenka. I have been there under the covers, under the table. Because of your post, today I will remember to live like I were dying. I will draw on that unexplainable closeness to God. Then, I will love others. In turn, others will feel the love of God through me. Precisely what we are called to do. Ahh, Yes... simple yet complicated.

listening and exploring faith together