Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Live, Love, Learn, Leave a Legacy by Heidi Jakoby

What is the fire that burns in your heart? Are you following your passion or has life gotten very comfortable? Recently I have found my life getting very comfortable, I do not seem to feel the same passion for goals as I once did. When I was in High School my goal was to graduate, then to get into college, then graduate from college, get married, get another degree, have children, get a good job . These were all passionate goals for me. Not all of them were achieved but I felt like I was living life to the fulliest in the pursuit of these goals. Now I have a great home, a wonderful husband, we are comfortable and I don’t seem to have a clear passion or as Steven Covey puts it in his book First Things First  I cannot identify “The fire within”. Do you know what your “fire within” is and how to pursue it.

George Bernard Shaw wrote:

This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it what I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

How I long to feel this way to find my passion again and to live life like Shaw describes. I love the image of life as a torch not as a flame, that are lives are meant to burn brightly and boldly and we are to leave a legacy that we can hand to the next generation. Shaw speaks clearly that we are all connected and that when all members of the community are living fully we (the community) become a force of nature. How amazing this is. Was there a time when you were a part of a group that had a symitry of gifts and together the group achieved greater things than you could have imagined in the beginning? Is this something you want to be a part of again? How do you move toward that passion , that fire?

When Jesus goes out and recruits disciples he is clear that they are being asked to focus on the most important thing, "First things first. Your business is life, not death. And life is urgent: Announce God's kingdom!...No procrastination. No backward looks. You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day." How do you seize the day and fully live it? Let’s read the whole story Luke 9:51-62

In this story Jesus also makes it clear that the journey will neither be comfortable or easy. Is that a part of not pursuing your “fire within”. When I was growing up my parents always said they wanted my life to be easier than theirs. I am not sure how helpful that is to me today. I am comfortable but I am having a hard time finding my “fire within”. Sometimes I think that it is adversity or difficulties that help you to find your passion and to think about your legacy. In Covey’s book First things First he says, “The key to the fire within is our spiritual need to leave a legacy. It transforms other needs into capacities for contribution. Food, money, health, education, and love become resources to reach out and help fill the unmet needs of others.” Do you agree? How has this worked in your life?

Take a couple of minutes to think about the legacy you want to leave, Nichole Nordeman’s video touched my heart and got me thinking about my legacy. The pictures of the people and the legacies they are leaving are very inspiring. What will be your legacy? (video, lyrics)

Finally if you want to just take a deep breath, relax and spend 2 and a half minutes viewing this video from Franklin Covey: Leave a Legacy

Please share your thoughts and comments here and join us on Skype for a discussion just call "bythewaycommunity". We will be on Skype from 7-8pm EST, 6-7pm CT 4-5pm PCT. Hope to talk with you soon. Hope your day is filled with joy!


Bookmark and Share






2 comments:

gabriel (kari too) said...

Was very touched by the legacy video. Got chills seeing all the people living their passions in spite of tremendous setbacks... Wanting to leave their individual marks on God's cration. Well done, Heidi.

redhed2020 said...

In most stories I hear, the person is inspired by an event that sends them off. Often the event is a death or accident. And so for these few, the subject of their passion is made blatantly evident. They cannot but see it.

Not wishing bad upon the rest of us smucks, how will we find a passion without a disaster? Shouldn't it smack us in the face?

Intriguing me lately is the difference between two people growing up in the same lazy rural town. One has a satisfying life being known only locally. One has a satisfying life as very public, nationally known person. I purport that the latter was driven by passion, not unlike the type we are discussing here. Did that person know early on what the passion or goal was? Or did they just work hard on each part of their life and the "universe unfolded"? I don't know!!

listening and exploring faith together