Wednesday, June 16, 2010

naming the demons, reclaiming the God-in-you . . . by Kari Henkelmann Keyl

They tried to make her go to rehab, and she said… no, no, no. Singer Amy Winehouse became famous as the Grammy Award winner who won’t go, go, go, with her song of resistance, Rehab (lyrics video), in 2006. She has been in and out of rehab since then, reportedly finding some health, but it hasn’t been easy. 

Some of us can relate to the terrible journey of the substance addict who’s trying to get clean… or trying not to get clean… or doing both at the same time. And some of us have never been addicted to drugs. But we can hardly claim to be better than the struggling addicts. We’ve got addictions of our own.

Whether your addiction is – to caffeine or nicotine, to over-exercising or taking ibuprofin, to eating or not eating, to too much screen time or to being connected to your friends 24/7, to blaming others or cutting yourself down — addiction can be one hell of a ride. And jumping off that ride can be as scary as staying on it.

There are these habits and obsessions we get into that help us cope… for a while anyway. But when we see that they’re just band-aids, keeping us from getting the real help/change we need, then it’s time to take them off the “coping mechanisms” list and name them for what they really are.

Naming addictive habits can be powerful. We can name them “destructive” or “hurtful to myself and others” or “what I’ve centered my life around” or “what I truly love and worship even though it doesn’t love me back”. Naming the demons that have attached themselves to us can be the beginning of re-claiming our own lives, of taking them back.

While you’re contemplating your own need to name and re-claim, check out this simple but poignant poem  written by someone who’s using poetry as part of her healing journey.

“You've taken from me God's image of me. I'm letting you go, and I want to be free,” says the determined Poet to her Addiction.

A number of writers have chronicled how Jesus continued to see God’s image in people despite the scary demons that had overtaken them. Here is one such person, in Part One of an incredible story: Luke 8:26-31

It seems to me that this person’s demons may well have been supernatural creatures of some sort. But they also could have been related to misunderstood diseases like epilepsy, mental illness, or alcoholism. Whatever is the reason for this man’s ostracizing symptoms, the reality is that he has fully taken on the demon-possessed label that his community slapped him with. He needs a new name. But there is resistance. “What business do you have messing with me, Jesus?!” he cries. This is the way life is with me. Leave me alone! If you take away my demons, who will I be? How will I cope then? No, no, no!

Here’s the rest of the story Luke 8:31-39. Jesus separates the demons from the person. So powerful is this demon-force that it drives the herd of pigs crazy. And the whole thing makes the townsfolk crazy, too. They could handle the crazy man by shackling him. But this Jesus was too powerful to be messed with. Too much change, too fast. They’re more scared of the healthy man than they were the wild one!

But the man who’s been freed has a new life beyond fear. He wants to hop into the boat with Jesus, but Jesus has bigger plans. He can see the gifts in this person. He gives him a new name: truth-telling God-connector. Go and tell everyone how God reached out to you! I know you can! 

Try to imagine what might happen if you named one of the demons you struggle with… asked Jesus to help you face up to it… shared your story with someone who would walk with you through the painful changes… learned more about your relationship with God than you ever thought possible… felt the new freedom... and began telling others about what God has done...

Who knows?

Healer Jesus, you have named me as your beloved child. Walk with me as I face up to the habits and attitudes I have that take me away from you. Open my eyes to notice those who need me, those who need you. Help me see the gifts in myself that you see… that I might be a God-connector in the world.


If you’d like to come and engage with others on the stuff I’ve brought up here, please come and join the audio skype conversation on Thursday, June 17, 7pm EST or Monday, June 21, 8:30pmEST. New to skype? All you need is a microphone (most laptops have them built in). Just go to http://www.skype.com/, download the program, set up your identity, and then look for “by the way community”. All are welcome!

Bookmark and Share


4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi, like this blog, naming the demons, reclaiming the God in you. Reclaiming your life to live it as fully as God hopes for each one of us. I can not imagine the strength required to overcome or just deal with on a daily basis the serious physical addictions or mental illness. Will miss skype tonight. enjoy.

Kari said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Tracy. I look forward to next time you can join us!

julie said...

i like it. almost always in luke passages, those who are healed are either charged with telling or internally compelled to tell others of what has happened to them. i think it is part of the healing process ~ name the demons and they lose their power....

Kari said...

Thanks so much, Julie. We just finished our btw skype conversation, and it turns out that "you were there"! That is, I read your comments which turned into a great discussion of how much closer we come to God when we tell our stories of healing from our demons. The Spirit works in marvelous ways!

listening and exploring faith together