Thursday, August 26, 2010

Check Yourself! By Heidi Jakoby

What is our obsession with reality shows about featuring rich housewives throughout the United States. We have Real Housewives  of New Jersey, New York, Atlanta, Orange County and now DC???? There is also Keeping up with the Kardashians . I am never sure what all these people do or why they are so famous? I’m confused, am I supposed to aspire to be more like them? Most of what I have seen has been people who are not very gracious, have little to no humility, and at times are mean? I’m confused I thought we are suppose to live our best life; treat others as we want to be treated?

On a recent episode of The Real Housewives of DC, Staci invited her friends to her Aunt’s house for a traditional Sunday dinner, something Staci treasured all her life, most were very polite and gracious and one was completely out of her element but refused to be polite, check out Staci's Blog Staci's Blog. Staci states:

Good manners folks... there is no excuse for mean comments toward people who are opening their home and extending their hospitality, even if "the scene" is different than what you are accustomed to… Her behavior was particularly offensive because it was directed at my family (neck roll, please!!). You can be rude to me, but DON'T mess with my family. It's that simple. When it comes to those I love, I don't care to analyze your motivation, your hang-ups or your issues - check yourself.

I found it refreshing to read what Staci had to say. When I read Luke 14:7-14,  I thought Jesus was also reminding us to "check ourselves". Jesus is at a banquet and talks about, his recommendations for the best way to behave at a dinner party. Quoting from the message Jesus says, “If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face. But if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself." Do you agree?

Then Jesus says to the host, “The next time you put on a dinner, don't just invite your friends and family and rich neighbors, the kind of people who will return the favor. Invite some people who never get invited out, the misfits from the wrong side of the tracks. You'll be—and experience—a blessing. They won't be able to return the favor, but the favor will be returned.” I love to invite people or give people gifts when they least expect it. Have you ever invited friends from different socioeconomic groups to come together for a meal? What was it like? Were some people uncomfortable?

I hope you take a few minutes to check out Staci’s comments and think about why reality shows focused on the rich social groups in the United States, keep multiplying? Who is watching these shows and what are we learning?

I have spent a lot of time with little children lately and I find it refreshing when I hear please and thank you. Recently I have met a number of children who have not been taught to say thank you or please, and whose parents do not think these are important lessons, what do you think? Is being polite an appropriate expectation? Should manners be taught? I found this great post Nine Steps to Being Polite at a Dinner, what do you think?

Thank you for spending some time reading my post, please feel free to comment!


No comments:

listening and exploring faith together