Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas continues for 6 more days by Heidi Jakoby

It is the 6th day of Christmas and Christmas carols are no longer heard on the radio and everyone seems to be looking straight at the New Year and they are done with Christmas, but Christmas day was just the beginning of the 12 days of christmas which end on January 6th with the celebration of Epiphany and the arrival of the Magi. I personally love this Christmas season knowing that we continue to celebrate the birth of Jesus. I found an interesting site that shares some thoughts about the urban legend or truth about the song
"The twelve days of Christmas". As this story points out the Christian meaning behind the song seems to be a myth but I enjoy linking the Christian meaning to the song, because it reminds me that I need to continue to practice kindness and love, even after Christmas and Epiphany. Is there anything wrong with linking new meanings to old songs? We often link meanings to songs, or at least memories to music. Music is very powerful and I try to continue listening to Christmas music up through January 6th but it isn't easy.



I have a difficult time staying focused on the "meaning of the season", but this reading from Colossians3:12-17 reminds me that love is the reason for the season. How can I continue to clothe myself in kindness when so many things in the news and around the world remind me that many people are not kind or caring? How do we rise above the external conflicts to focus on compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, and discipline? It has taken me a long time to embrace the peace and power of being even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense and I know I am not perfect but if I continue to aspire to it each time I do it, it comes quicker and easier.



Did you hear the report about the Grocery store that was left open by accident and the people who came in and took items and then left the money for them at the register? These are people who practice kindness, discipline, and caring. What would you have done given the opportunity they had? You can read the story and reactions for yourself. I thought it was a great reminder of the many honest people in our world.(Safeways left unlocked)

I know this Christmas season was one filled with planning and accepting what was not planned. I have been working hard at staying centered on kindness but often it is my family who challenges my kindness and forgiveness the most. I do find that some members of my family and some of my friends seem to enjoy stirring up tension, and I am not quite sure why? Sometimes I am the one pushing the buttons of my family members. This year I have tried to be more conscious of old habits and became aware of some of the buttons I push and tried to stop myself. Awareness and changing behavior is hard work, and takes practice as does, being kind and forgiving quickly. Practice and reminders of the meaning of Christmas can help.

I hope you continue to think about the meaning of Christmas through out these next 6 days and practice putting on the clothes God has provided for you throughout the new year. Have a joyous Christmas and a Happy New Year.


Bookmark and Share






No comments:

listening and exploring faith together