Friday, December 4, 2009

What gives you JOY? by Heidi Jakoby

Some of my favorite face book or twitter posts are those acknowledgements of unexpected joyful moments. Those moments of joy when you find your keys that were lost, or when a young child spins in circles laughs and makes himself dizzy for the first time are moments of joy. One friend posted some of the most beautiful pictures from the ice storm last year and there was such joy in the sky and sun reflecting in the ice and snow.

Last night my husband and I discussed the readings I posted earlier this week and a beautiful advent prayer a friend posted. ( Luke1: 68-79 and Philippians1:3-11)


It was fascinating to talk about what brings us joy and to find out that for both of us it is very simple things not the things the media puts out but the things that touch our hearts. He said that the quiet that comes with snow brings him joy. As I thought about it there is a different silence when you wake up to a neighborhood covered in snow. For me it is watching people enjoy my cooking or watching someone un-expectantly smile/laugh when they least expect it and no matter how hard they try to stop they can’t.

So how can we choose our joy? Maybe it is more about trying to be present in each moment of this time of Advent. To allow yourself to be distracted by what is most important and to not spend all of your time caught up in the frenzy of the season. In order to avoid some of the craziness of this holiday season I have discovered some great times to shop and I try and get together with friends more than worry about what will be happening in a few weeks. Take a breath realize what is truly the meaning of the season. Take some time and read these two passages from the Bible again.

Take care not to sit in the darkness, take time to find joy this season. What are the bright spots in this season? How might you create some joy in another person’s life? I know that during this time of year when my friends are struggling I just want to help, but that takes time and effort. What would make a friend who is struggling happy today? Sometimes it is a simple phone call, e-mail and sometimes a wall post.

I hope you remember that you are special and loved. You are important to the world and as you begin each day during this time of waiting, expect joy each day, expect good things to happen and help spread kindness. I know that sometimes I forget that I am special and that I can expect good things to happen each day. I hope each day of Advent brings you a little closer to God.

A friend shared this Advent prayer written by Henri Nouwen:

Lord Jesus, Master of both the light and the darkness, send your Holy Spirit upon our preparations for Christmas.
We who have so much to do seek quiet spaces to hear your voice each day.
We who are anxious over many things look forward to your coming among us.
We who are blessed in so many ways long for the complete joy of your kingdom.
We whose hearts are heavy seek the joy or your presence.
We are your people, walking in darkness, yet seeking the light. To you we say, “Come Lord Jesus!”


Amen



1 comment:

bostonian foodie said...

Amen!!!
To that Heidi! Very well written...and YES YOU ARE VERY SPECIAL

JOY is such a word I wish would be expressed all the time... it makes my soul dance no matter the ups and downs in my day.

I wish I could post the pic of the list of words on white board we wrote months back as a group. On the question "What Does God want for YOU?"

1. Peace/ Security (shelter, food, clothing)
2. Happiness (I like the word JOY better)
3. Well being
4. Fellowship/ Connection community
5. TO BE LOVED

* I love number 5 "TO BE LOVED"
I grew up wondering all the time if my family ever loved me, then in foster care that question does anyone love me? Echoed through my head...

I can say that God, our heavenly father LOVES unconditionally, despite all our sins and imperfections. HE is a GOD that doesn't judge... I mean how great is that?

HIS grace and love is a enough.
and that brings me great JOY... and I hope that tickles you pink too :)

So e hugs to you all! YOU are LOVED and Special!!

listening and exploring faith together