Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Simple Lessons during this busy time. by Heidi Jakoby

As the year comes to an end I am beginning to see everyone’s top ten lists and tomorrow Barbara Walters special the 10 most fascinating people of 2009 airs and many are wondering who will top that list See 9 of the 10 most facinating poeple . Well if I had to put together a list of my favorite 10 characters in the Bible John would definitely be on that list. Maybe I will work on that for a New Year’s blog?


Anyway, I will be curious to see what the values and experiences make someone fascinating? In this Bible reading Luke3:7-18 John is fascinating, he is unconventional but he is giving the people a rather simple message. He tells them to “Share with one another, Be Kind to one another. Don’t fight. Be fair. Don’t hoard, or lord it over one another.” Hum, some of the most popular movies, TV shows, especially reality television, are making money on the fact that we do not want to see anyone doing any of these. There is more meanness, fighting, injustice, hoarding and lording on television today than I can ever recall. Does this all make for good television and great movies? I know there are exceptions but I think they can be hard to find. What are you watching? What is entertaining to you?

As I read a number of blogs and commentaries I kept thinking about the poem by Robert Fulghum, All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten. I could comment on every line, “Share everything.” During this holiday season this is one we could all be better at. I find myself thinking about how much I have and am aware of so many in need. Today I was heading to the grocery store and I was hungry, and in that moment I actually tried to think about being hungry for more than a moment. I was hungry not because I did not have food but because I did not feel like eating what I had. In some ways I had an abundance of food to choose from and definitely once I got to the market I had an over abundance to choose from. What do you have an abundance of that you can share? Many of our Food Pantries  are low on food, consider sharing what you have. Another line is, “Play fair.” I have great respect for people who play fair, unfortunately in life many things do not seem fair and what I think is fair others may not. What have you noticed about playing fair recently? Having two older brothers growing up I thought they never played fair. Now as an aunt to a number of children I find myself wanting to teach them the rules of the game and to encourage them to play as the game was intended. Unfortunately I am finding that not all parents think playing by the rules is a good idea, what have you noticed?

This poem influenced my life greatly it taught me that many complicated things come down to a few simple values, acts of kindness and sharing. That if we could be more patients and loving everything would seem a little better. Is this too optimistic, too simplistic? What do you think?

Join in on our live Skype conversation on Thursday at 7PM and share your thoughts, or comment here. So put bythewaycommunity on your Skype contact list and join us.



Bookmark and Share





No comments:

listening and exploring faith together