Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dialogo: My most sacred space....

The past couple of weekends I've been sitting with a variety of people talking about how we listen to God and how we might all work to find time to do that. One of the most interesting questions that has been asked during this time, was "where is your most sacred place to really listen to God." The group is invited to share where that place was or where they last remember being in a space that allowed them the chance to hear God's voice.

For me, this question reminds me of the times I spent at Holden Village in Washington State. This retreat center is smack dab in the Cascade Mountain range and is miles from anything (it takes a 2-3 hour boat ride and a 30 minute bus ride up switchbacks just to get there). In the quiet of the day, just after breakfast, or later in the evening, I would go sit out on the deck of the dining hall area with a cup of coffee or tea, and just enjoy the simple beauty of the mountains. Sometimes deer would wander by adding to the peaceful natural way of the setting.

This sacred space is often more difficult to find in our often busy lives. More recently though, I have begun to find a new time and space to be with God, and it surprised me. Each day, I spend 30 minutes walking on our treadmill in the basement. It's a pretty uninspiring piece of paneling that I stare at, but there is something different about being in this space away from distractions that has begun to make it an almost holy time.

It made wonder, where are your sacred spaces? When did you last take time to enter in to a sacred place that was not necessarily one we would think of as sacred?

No comments:

listening and exploring faith together