Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Truth does it set you free? by Heidi Jakoby

This last week the media has been all over the "Balloon Boy" story. I don't know about you but I was listening to the radio in my car as this now hoax was unfolding. The radio commentator was clearly upset and asked us all to say prayers for the boy and his family, so I said a prayer. The radio commentator at one point hoped that the child was not in the balloon but was hiding, as small children sometimes do when they think they will be in trouble. What happened in the days that followed this incident was absolutely disturbing to me.

The truth about the incident came out on Larry King Live and it was revealed by the 6 year old boy Falcon. It then came out that his Dad was trying to land a reality television show. What??? This is so perplexing to me. Even though he did not put his son in danger the family put rescue workers in danger delayed many flights and had upset people all over the country.

I know I felt used and I still am not sure what the complete truth is. My hope is that the rest of the story will come out. In John8:31-36 (below), Jesus is described as the truth. This is the part of the Bible where the quote “The truth will set you free” is taken.

Often when I think of this phrase I think about the quote “honesty is the best policy” and I flash back to my parents telling me to “tell the truth” especially when I did something wrong. It always felt like telling the truth was the right thing to do but facing any consequences was not very appealing. Most of the time I think I eventually told the truth after blaming my brothers did not work.

Anyway it was ultimately Falcon Heene age 6 who told the truth as he was probably taught.

How do you feel about hoaxes, are they o.k.? do you feel duped? Is it all in fun?

How do you feel about the truth? Do you always tell the truth? When do you hold back the truth?

What does it mean to you that “Jesus is the truth”?

Join us Thursday to explore what truth means to us today. We will be meeting at the Crowne Plaza Nashua, NH at 7PM.



Please feel free to comment.



John8:31-36NRSV

31 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, ‘If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.’ 33They answered him, ‘We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, “You will be made free”?’

34 Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there for ever. 36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.




Bookmark and Share







No comments:

listening and exploring faith together