Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What loss has brought you to your knees? by Heidi Jakoby

This week we are exploring loss and grief. What kinds of losses have you experienced in your life? Did it have a physical affect on you? How have you gotten through that grief?

As I read and reflected on the lesson for this week John11:32-44 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John11:32-44&version=MSG this is the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. The part of this story that makes me wonder is Jesus physical reaction to the death of Lazarus. Jesus wept and he was physically disturbed by the death of Lazarus.

At the Women’s Conference 2009 http://www.californiawomen.org/  this week Maria Shriver and others spoke about their grief over the loss of a loved one and how they have been getting through each day.

I read the following in the Los Angeles Times: “Maria Shriver has long sought to protect her privacy as California's First Lady, but today she brought thousands to tears with an extraordinary evocation of her grief two months after the death of her mother, Eunice Kennedy Shriver. During a luncheon session at the Women's Conference she is chairing in Long Beach, Shriver told attendees that she stood before them "with a broken heart." She said she has told people that she is holding up well, but "the real truth is that I'm not fine.”

"The real truth is that my mother's death has brought me to my knees," she said. "I had feared this my entire life. . . . She was my hero, my role model, my very best friend. I spoke to her every single day of my life. I tried really hard when I grew up to make her proud of me." Maria Shriver has long sought to protect her privacy as California's First Lady, but today she brought thousands to tears with an extraordinary evocation of her grief two months after the death of her mother, Eunice Kennedy Shriver. (Here is the link to the entire article http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-maria-shriver28-2009oct28,0,5125731.story?track=rss  )

Has grief or loss brought you to your knees? I know this has happened at least once in my life and when I think back to that day I need to not think of it for too long or else I can get lost there. Going on with grief is never easy but I know that those I have lost have taught me many things, but I still grieve.

Please comment on these thoughts and questions and consider joining us for Bread for your Journey this Thursday night at the Crowne Plaza Nashua NH 7PM. See you there.


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Helen J Uurtamo said...

Even for strong people (of which I consider myself to be) there are definitely times that we are brought to our knees.

I have had such times of loss which have brought me to my knees... My mom passed away at the young age of 45 when I was just 14; she had multiple sclerosis since after I was born. I never had time with her when she could walk on her own and my memories are with her in a wheelchair. This was a challenge each Sunday when we enlisted help in getting her up the numerous steps into the church we attended. There were no ADA laws in effect then. I think I felt her loss most after I married and had my first child, a daughter, and realized she would never see my children nor would my children get to know their grandmother. I would also not be able to call her with questions, etc. This made me sad.

Another loss was the loss of my middle child, a daughter, to SIDS at the young age of seven weeks. How could God be so merciless? I still remember arriving at the funeral and first getting a glimpse of that small white casket, it was all I could do to stay on my feet and I was literally held up my my husband on one arm and a funeral home attendant on the other. I recall receiving many heartfelt letters and cards from people who I did not know but had experienced a similar loss. These were helpful but I honestly could not talk about my loss for numerous years. I don't know how many times I was asked, "How many children do you have?" Even today I feel strange by not mentioning her as I have to include all the details of her loss. This was indeed the most grievous and heaviest time of my life.

The most recent loss was that of my father at the age of 90. He led a long and healthy life. I remember that when I was a teenager, I was so rebellious especially after my mother died. My parents, who had migrated from Europe, were very strict. I had a hard time with my father during my teen years. When I got older and had my own family, I visited him often and always thought to myself, how could I ever have had such issues with such a humorous and wonderful man. Naturally he did go through some changes himself after my mother passed and meeting his next love which had many positive effects on him. I also had matured and gone through my own changes. I felt his loss mostly during my marriage ceremony with Steve. I felt the loss of my father not being able to give me away and I asked my pastor friend that I wanted everyone to know that he was there spiritually. She placed a one sentence memorial into our wedding ceremony and I broke down during it upon mention of him. I find it interesting how grief can overcome you during the most joyous times of your life. This was a most loving and happy time and although I was sad that my father could not be there physically, he was there with us spiritually. I was glad that Steve got to meet him months before he died.

I find that we can find joyfulness and happiness during the grieving of our losses.

listening and exploring faith together